Troop C - Frequently Asked Questions

1. How do I schedule an appointment to have a child car seat installed?

Call Troop C Headquarters at 636-300-2800 to schedule an appointment with one of our Public Information/Education (PIED) officers.

2. When can my child stop riding in a child car seat?

Missouri Revised Statutes Chapter 307 Section 307.179 states :
Each driver transporting a child less than 16 years old must secure the child in a proper restraint.

Child Safety Seats

Children under the age of four must be secured in a child passenger restraint system bearing a label indicating the restraint meets Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards of the USDOT.

Booster Seats

Effective August 28, 2006, Missouri law will require children to be transported in a booster seat if they:

  • weigh at least forty pounds, regardless of their age, or
  • are at least four years of age but less than eight years; or
  • weigh at least forty pounds but less than eighty pounds; or
  • are less than 4 feet 9 inches tall.

If there is no combination lap and shoulder belt to accommodate a booster seat, then the child otherwise is required to ride in a booster seat may be transported in the back seat with only a lap belt.

When there are more children in the driver's immediate family than available seating positions, their children who are not able to be restrained using a child safety restraint device must sit in the back seat.

Safety Belts

Children at least 80 pounds or more than 4 feet 9 inches tall shall be secured in a safety belt or booster seat appropriate for that child.

Note: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recommends that children under 12 years always ride in the back seat.

3. How do I schedule an appointment to have a fingerprint card made for my employer?

Call Troop C Headquarters at 636-300-2800 to schedule an appointment. We have a limited number of times available per day so be sure to call well in advance.

If you need a FBI fingerprint card for CDL Hazardous Materials Endorsement, you can obtain one by calling:

4. Who do I speak to about having a salvaged vehicle inspected?

Motor Vehicle Inspection (MVI) inspects many vehicles each day. To speak to someone in MVI, call:

  • Troop C Supersite (St. Louis area) : 314-416-2180
  • Troop C Satellite (Park Hills area): 573-431-0166 option 2

5. I have a Commercial Motor Vehicle question. Who can I ask?

Call Troop C Commercial Vehicle Enforcement at our satellite office:

  • 573-431-0166

6. How do I schedule an appointment for CDL Testing?

  • Call 314-416-2180

7. I have a tow service. How do I gain access to motor vehicle and marinecraft titling and lien records?

Visit the Department of Revenue page for information on how to apply for a security access code (form 4678) and an online account (form 5017).

8. I need to request a copy of an accident report, or need to check on the status of my earlier request.

You can call the Accident Records Office at 636-300-2800, Extension 3335 or 3338. If you haven't already requested a report, you can download the form here.

The initial Radio Report for traffic related crashes that were handled by MSHP Troopers, can be viewed ONLINE. Bear in mind that these radio reports are not the official report but simply a summary of the officers initial findings. The final detailed report may not be available for several weeks after the date of the crash.

9. What are the regulations about window tinting in Missouri?

Vehicles registered in Missouri may have the windows to the immediate right and left of the driver tinted to 35%, plus or minus 3% or more light transmittance. Any tint with less light transmittance on these windows would require a physician's prescription indicating a serious medical condition requiring the darker tinting. Windows behind the driver and the rear glass are not subject to tint limitations. The windshield is not to be tinted except that portion at the top, which is normally tinted by the vehicle manufacturer.

10. I'm going to be traveling through Missouri. How can I obtain information about road closures, construction areas, etc?

Alternately, you can call 1-888 ASK MODOT or 573-751-2551 (out of state).

For information about weather related road conditions for states bordering Missouri call:

  • Kentucky 866-737-3767
  • Illinois 800-452-4368
  • Kansas 800-585-7623
  • Iowa 800-288-1047
  • Arkansas 800-245-1672
  • Oklahoma 405-425-2385
  • Tennessee 800-342-3258
  • Nebraska800-906-9069

Command Officer

Captain Kevin W Malugen

Troop Staff

  • Lieutenant Julie A Scerine
  • Lieutenant Stephen M Bielawski
  • Lieutenant Jamey R Diffee
  • Lieutenant Tycee M Williams
  • Lieutenant Scott A Miller
  • Lieutenant Jason L. Decker
  • Phone:(636) 300-2800

Service Center

  • Director
  • Lieutenant Kevin W Malugen

Request Report